Monday, May 2, 2011

Cousin Blair's Fantastico Sauce

I don't know about you, but I love to use tomato sauce in my cooking. I especially love tomato sauce because tomatoes are 0 Points Plus on Weight Watchers and you can make a fairly hearty, filling sauce. I am going to leave you with a delicious, easy, spaghetti sauce recipe recommended by my cousin. I first made it a couple of years ago and haven't tasted anything that matched it since!


On your way to the store, pick up a few ingredients...

  • One onion
  • Garlic
  • Canned crushed tomatos
  • Canned diced tomatoes with garlic (drained)
  • Can/jar of spaghetti sauce
  • Tomato paste
  • Mushrooms
  • Red wine
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Cooking spray
You can easily modify the amounts based on your preference, but I will give you the approximate measurements in the sauce I concocted. 


  1. Spray a skillet with cooking spray of your choice and saute the one diced onion, two tablespoons of minced garlic, and 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms.
  2. After the have softened, pour a cup and a half of red wine in the pan. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
  3. In a large pot, combine 26 ounces of crushed tomatoes, 28 ounces of spaghetti sauce, 14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes, 6 ounces of tomato paste, a touch of basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix and allow to heat.
  4. After simmering, pour the mushrooms, garlic, onion, and wine mixture into the pot. 
  5. Cook for up to 5 hours



If you don't have time to wait 5 hours, jump right in. It tasted great to me within 10 minutes of combining the ingredients, but if you can, it will be worth the wait. 


Other ingredients you might consider adding include meat (ground turkey, ground beef, veggie beef) and vegetables (yellow squash, zucchini, bell pepper) or anything else you find tasty! Because I have made so much, I will probably pour it into containers to eat over the next week. I will likely saute some veggies and pour the sauce over them or grill chicken, chop it up, and add whole wheat noodles. I've even seen it used on toast and made into a sandwich with cheese - and that was GREAT!

I hope this sauce finds you well!


1 comment:

  1. I love that sauce! I keep thinking about asking you for the recipe..now I have it!

    ReplyDelete